All of us would like to have a perfect smile. A perfect smile is made up of many things, not least of which seems to be good dental structure, the twinkle in your eye, and a huge dose of sincerity. The structure of your mouth, in proportion with the rest of your face, the size and texture of your lips; all these factors go to make up the perfect smile.
Short of cosmetic surgery, there is not much that we can do about the structure of our mouths and lips. We can, however, do everything we can to ensure that our teeth and gums are in the best condition we can achieve.
The perfect smile starts with your teeth and one the first steps to take is regular brushing and flossing. There is no substitute for clean teeth. Not only does regular brushing and flossing enhance that perfect smile, but it is the first line of defence against the multitudes of bacteria that invade our bodies via our mouths.
Regular brushing and flossing ensures that you will have a better chance to resist gum disease, which will do nothing to enhance that perfect smile since it can cause tooth loss. Regular bi-yearly visits to your dentist and dental hygienist will ensure that first line of defence is maintained.
If, however, we have certain defects that take away from that perfect smile, we have to step up the game a bit and contemplate additional steps to be taken to ensure the perfect smile. These could include anything from teeth whitening to dental implants to replace missing teeth.
This is the field of cosmetic dentistry. Thanks to modern dental technology these procedures are now available to all who seek the perfect, superstar smile.
So How Do We Get That Perfect Smile?
- Teeth Whitening. Available from the dental hygienist, teeth whitening preparations lighten discoloured and stained teeth instantly, but unfortunately won’t work on internal stains and restorations.
- Composite resins are coloured the same as natural teeth and are used to repair broken, chipped, cracked and stained teeth. Composite resin can even be used to close small gaps in your teeth.
- Porcelain Veneers. Veneers are thin porcelain shells that cover your original teeth, and are permanently fixed in place. They cover broken and discoloured teeth.
- Dental Contouring. Also known as tooth reshaping, the enamel of your existing teeth is reshaped to present a more pleasing impression.
- Crown Lengthening. Involving minimal surgery, the gums are reshaped to give the appearance of larger crowns, thereby going a long way to achieving that perfect smile.
- Dental implants of various types are used to replace missing teeth. Nothing detracts from a perfect smile more than missing teeth. At the same time, they preserve your dental health and make it easier to chew food properly.
With all these incredible, affordable treatments for achieving a perfect smile, there is no excuse for you to stay home on Friday night. Explore these options with your nearest dentist or dental hygienist and you will have taken a major step towards creating your perfect smile. The rest is up to you and your stellar personality.